Saturday, May 21, 2011

Day 1...and a half: Journey to Prague

Wow, what a long day to Prague. First a 4 hour flight from Seattle to Detroit. Next a 7 hour flight from Detroit to Paris, and lastly an hour and a half flight from there to Prague. Whew, that was a long one, and like I said yesterday, I intended to sleep on the flights but I didn't do much of that. Instead, I watched a couple movies from Detroit to Paris, including Rain Man, which was a great movie and made Alan's comments and actions on The Hangover even funnier. After that movie, I did the dumbest thing that I have done in.....maybe a week or so. I got up to go use the bathroom about 12 seconds before the drink cart passed my row so that when I got out of the bathroom I wasn't able to get back to my seat because the drink cart was in the way. I ended up chatting with a different flight attendant for about 20 minutes, and she was married and has two kids and lives in Detroit in case anybody wanted to know. But eventually we made it to Prague and a guy named Thomas picked us up and took us to our apartment that a guy was renting out to us for two nights. We(actually not me at all, but my dad) gave Thomas 500 Czech Koruna for taking us. A dollar equals about 17 Czech Koruna so I will let you do that math because I am tired. We arrived at our apartment at about 4:00 pm local time on Saturday evening, and we had two hours before we were going to meet a friend of my dads that he had met on a different trip. We met at the Hard rock Cafe in Prague, mostly because that was one of the few signs that we could read and recognize. A 27-year old man, who was fluent in Czech, English, German and Chinese, walked up named Jan. Jan was dad's buddy, a local guy, and he took us around Prague for the remaining few hours that we had left for that night. "Jan" is pronounced Yawn, which ironically enough was what me and my sister were doing all night long. We were tired, so we were indeed "yawning." Anyway, after walking around the streets of Prague for many hours we sat down at a restaurant. I was starving, and Jan recommended the Roasted Duck and Dumplings, so that is what I ate with my local Pilsner Beer that I really didn't enjoy all that much, but it was cool to say that I had a local Czech beer. The Duck on the other hand was stupendous. Jan said to never ever leave The Czech Republic without learning the most important saying in Czech, "Budo mit jeste jendo pivo." which means, "I'll have one more beer." I will leave all(and I use the word "all" lightly) of you with a question that Jan asked as we were walking away from an ice cream stand. You see the lady running the ice cream shop had a quite visible tattoo on her cleavage. As we were walking away eating our ice cream Jan asked me a question that was something to the effect of this, "If I make a compliment about her tattoo, is that a nice thing to say, or does it look bad that I am even looking down there at all??" Its a no win situation I guess, Hmmm the thoughts to ponder in Prague Czech Republic. I will catch up with you all tomorrow hopefully.

1 comments:

Xytrex said...

I loved Prague. Look forward to reading your thoughts.

Jamie (Xytrex)