Thursday, May 27, 2010

"U"-n-"bald"-evable


Ubaldo Jimenez is dominating the National League right now with the Colorado Rockies. I go to school at Utah State so during the end of a school year and also the beginning of the next they are my "local" team being in Colorado so I watch a lot of their games. I would consider myself a moderate Rockies fan if and only if my Mariners and Cubs are out of it, which toward the end of the season they usually are. Ubaldo Jimenez has got to be the most unheard of great pitcher in the major leagues.
Jimenez has got to be the front runner to become the National Leagues Cy Young winner this year, I know its early but this guy is absolutely amazing so far. Ubaldo Jimenez so far this year is 9-1 with a 0.88 ERA so far. That is not a typo or his WHIP, that is his ERA through ten games. That is unheard of at this point in the major leagues. Last year Tim Lincecum won the National League Cy Young with only 16 wins. Jimenez is on pace to do that by the all-star break. This can be a season to remember for Ubaldo, who by the way maybe has the best first name in all of baseball too, which makes him fun to follow.
The thing that is so great about this run the Ubaldo is putting together is that he is doing it in a hitters paradise in the thin air of Coors Field in Colorado. This would be impressive if it happened in a pitchers park like Petco in San Diego or Safeco in Seattle or even AT&T Park in San Francisco but to put this kind of start together at at Coors is something special. It is very rare for a pitcher to continue this way throughout the year as good starts usually fade into just a pretty good season. I have a feeling though that this is going to stop, I'll be watching every time Ubaldo takes the hill as I am predicting this streak to continue. The number that is considered amazing for a starting pitcher throughout a year is a 2.00 ERA and I am predicting that Ubaldo does that and more this season. The reason why I think it will happen is because he is doing in the right way. He is not some phenom pitcher who nobody can figure out because he is new. He isn't getting lucky by putting this together. He is a pitcher that has been solid throughout the past couple years, he is in this thing for the long haul. He has worked through his kinks in the last couple years to get to be the pitcher he is now. I think with his 97-100 MPH fastball that moves more than John Candy's belly while doing jumping jacks, it is not unreasonable to assume an ERA under 2 and 25+ wins. I think Ubaldo will continue to be "U"-n-"bald"-evable, and will cruise to the National League Cy Young award this year.

0 comments: